Wednesday 19 March 2014

Nursery - guilt and terror

I go back to work in 2 months, and don't get me wrong because I love spending time with my daughter, but I am happy about the return. Almost 7 months at home is enough for me. And here is when the 'problem' starts. On one hand I am happy, on the other my Polish mentality, family, other moms, media are making me feel guilty. Why? The main argument is that mother should stay as long as possible with the child, at least 2-3 years. Only terrible mothers give kids to the nursery. Everyone seems to say 'how can you do that to your child, leave such a little one for 8 hours with strangers, what kind of mother are you? You will regret it'.  That's the terror part. When I google 'nursery' in Polish most hit are so negative and depressing: 'kids in the nursery-psychological stress',  'don't harm your kid by sending her to the nursery'.
Here in Belgium the mentality is different, the maternity leave is 3 months and creche seems to be a  normal and common choice. Mothers go fast back to work, of course they use the grandparents when possible but no one is condemning them for subscribing a baby to the nursery. Good or bad? I think that the most important is to act as you want with no pressure from the society. But maybe it's not possible.....

No comments:

Post a Comment