Monday 10 March 2014

Illness


Being ill is never fun, especially when you are breast feeding. I am really greatful that February is over and the weather is so beautiful outside. Because last month I spent most of my time visiting doctors, a few words about Belgium's healthcare system.

As in most countries, the system divides itself into state and private but what I find 'interesting' is no matter which type you choose, you have to pay. In Poland, where I am from, you only have to pay if you visit a private clinic. Therefore in Belgium you need to ensure that you are adequately covered through insurance so called mutuelle/mutualiteit. After living for almost 5 years in Belgium, I still find the system ridiculously complicated. General practitioners can be found in private practices or attached to clinics and hospitals. Private practices are often just in apartments in normal block of flats. I found that suspicious in the beginning, now I just got used to.  Don't forget to take money with you (cash!) because Consultations always end with payments. Usual price from 25 to 60 Euro which will be reimbursed later on by your insurer. So keep the receipt and send it later to your mutuelle.

Hopefully no more doctors starting from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment